South Africa 2023: Cultural Exchange Through Sports
FSH youth and staff have returned from their insightful trip to South Africa! They embarked on a cultural exchange journey and were immersed in a new culture, community, and environment. Each FSH girl was partnered with a girl from the surfing-based 9Miles Project, and together, they exchanged chants, stories, and experiences while discovering that gliding on ice is just as graceful as gliding on water.
“I felt welcomed in South Africa. The 9Miles girls made sure we felt a part of the community. They gave us parting gifts at the end of the trip: photos of us and our partner, along with matching bracelets,” said Natalie, an FSH ambassador.
The trip showcased the power of ice skating to bridge cultures and foster an international community. Our girls will keep gliding and spreading the joy of ice skating to all corners of the world!
We’ve put together a virtual tour with a packed itinerary so that you can relive the most precious moments with us! Read through the itinerary below and then click the link to see the pictures and videos from the life-changing trip!
- Day One: Arrive at Johannesburg: The girls arrived at their destination after two long flights totaling 18 hours.
- Day Two: Tour Johannesburg guided sightseeing tour of Constitutional Hill. Constitutional Hill is home to the Constitutional Court, the supreme court of Johannesburg. Then took a trip to Soweto to see the Mandela House and the Apartheid Museum. Our Students also acted as tour guides! They researched topics such as apartheid and shared with the group during the bus trips!
- Day Three: Fight With Insight welcomed our girls to their clubhouse for a fantastic afternoon of self-defense boxing lessons. They partnered up and went exploring to see Freedom Square.
- Day Four: After the flight to Cape Town, FSH girls had a blast at Boulders Beach and the Ostrich Farm.
- Day Five: Further Exploration of Cape Town: A visit to Camps Bay and a ride on the funicular to see the fantastic views on top of Table Mountain.
- Day Six: FSH girls with the 9milesproject. Our girls were able to “glide on the water” with the help of the 9Miles Project and Laureus_usa. This day included a drumming circle where they learned how to play the Djembe!
- Day Seven: Our girls became the teachers! They helped the 9Miles girls “glide on ice” as well as visited CapeTown Landmarks such as the Castle of Good Hope and Bo-Kaap Quarters
- Day Eight: The girls had a history lesson at Robben Island and also got the opportunity to perform twice in South Africa. They received an inspiring visit from South African Olympian Skater Nicolas Van de Vijver. The farewell feast for FSH was full of music, dancing, singing, and amazing South African food! A memory our girls will not forget!
- Day Nine: Mandela Day was spent helping to organize a local clothing drive, organizing and renovating a local library, and saying goodbye to their 9Miles partners.