Reports to: Director of Education
Status: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Program: Summer Dreams 2023: July 10th – August 3rd
Mondays – Thursdays 10a – 2p (possibility to extend into our October 2023 -March 2024 I Can Excel Program)
Organization: FSH is a thriving youth development organization – the first to combine the power of education with the grace and discipline of figure skating to help girls transform their lives and grow in confidence, leadership and academic achievement. Our award-winning afterschool and summer programs provide girls ages 6 to 18 from low-income communities with access to innovative education and health and wellness services that help them reach their fullest potential. Our vision is for every student, regardless of socio-economic background, to acquire the foundational academic, social and leadership skills to achieve her dreams. Headquartered in Harlem for 25 years, and our first satellite chapter in Detroit – Figure Skating in Detroit is approaching its 6th season.
Job Description: As part of the Summer Dreams Program, the Teacher’s Assistant will work under the supervision of the Director of Education. The Teacher’s Assistant will support classroom instruction and will help lead activities that enhance each student’s general knowledge, critical thinking skills and curiosity in areas they will use throughout their lives.
As educators, we believe that students learn best by being active participants in the learning process. We impart skills that teach them how to think critically, express themselves effectively, and to discover, explore, and research the greater impact they can have on their communities. The Figure Skating in Harlem curriculum is grounded in purposeful activities designed to enhance students’ knowledge and skills, driving her curiosity to learn more about her impact, and the greater impact she can have on communities and the world around her.
- Be aligned with student-centered, and student-directed learning that embraces exploration, discovery, and the production of rigorous work products.
- Support classroom teachers to implement curriculum in the areas of life skills, communications, public speaking, and self-advocacy for girls in 1st-12th grade
- Manage small group activities in a safe, respectful environment
- Create and maintain a positive classroom culture while using effective classroom management strategies
- Include all students in the learning process at their level, and encourage the power of their voice in discussions and choice around their impact project
- Encourage positive student behavior that promotes character development
- Maintain meaningful positive rapport with students and parents
- Uphold FSH Values and youth development principles
- Knowledge of culturally relevant pedagogy and teaching through a social justice lens
- Experience with the online platform, Newsela preferred
- Previous experience teaching, tutoring and/or mentoring youth
- Demonstrate ability to be professional, creative, innovative, and flexible
- Ability to commit to working throughout the season
- Attention to detail, superb organization skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Hourly rate: $30/hour and $15/hour for meetings, admin, and trips
How to apply: Please send your resume to: Aridelle Campos at email@example.com.
Figure Skating in Harlem values its diverse community and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. Due to the high volume of resumes, FSH may not respond to all who apply. FSH is an equal opportunity employer.