Reports to: Director of Skating
Status: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Program: Summer Dreams 2023: July 10th – August 3rd
Mondays – Thursdays 1p – 2:30p
(Possibility to extend into our October 2023 -March 2024 I Can Excel Program)
Organization: FSH is a thriving youth development organization – the first to combine the power of education with the grace and discipline of figure skating to help girls transform their lives and grow in confidence, leadership, and academic achievement. Our award-winning afterschool and summer programs provide girls ages 6 to 18 from low-income communities with access to innovative education and health and wellness services that help them reach their fullest potential. Our vision is for every student, regardless of socio-economic background, to acquire the foundational academic, social and leadership skills to achieve her dreams. Headquartered in Harlem for 25 years, and our first satellite chapter in Detroit – Figure Skating in Detroit is approaching its 6th season.
Job Description: As part of the Summer Dreams skating team, the Go-Fit Instructor will work under the supervision of the Director of Skating. The Go Fit Instructor will conduct a safe, fun, and effective program, exemplary customer service in the framework of Figure Skating in Harlem’s “Girls’ Off-Ice Fitness Investment Training” (GO-FIT) program.
- Foster positive social and emotional growth in students as they participate in all FSH activities
- Help create a safe and supportive environment to maximize student engagement during program hours
- Implement a variety of techniques for students to develop or improve basic fundamental skills
- Maintain awareness of current fitness trends.
- Be punctual and ensure that the designed workout routine is followed properly.
- Provide a high degree of service to motivate students and their needs, concerns, and questions about FSH, its programs and mission
- Attend staff meetings and trainings related to the position.
- Participate in some FSH community and promotional special events
- Report all accident/incidents and Inform the Director of Skating of any program issues and concerns of students’ progress and behavior
- Uphold FSH Values and youth development principles
- Maintain system to record the progression of students’ skills and attendance
- Encourage positive student behavior that promotes character development
- Maintain meaningful positive rapport with students and parents
- Perform any related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor
- Experience in personal fitness, dance, and/or exercise science is a plus
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification recommended
- Minimum two years of experience with middle and high school level students
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, kinesiology and biomechanics and their relationship to the development of strength, cardiovascular and flexibility programs
- Must be energetic, enthusiastic and like working with children
- Must be willing to work with other instructors or specialists over the course of the season
Hourly rate: $38/hour
How to apply: Please send your resume to: Laura Hushion at email@example.com.
Figure Skating in Harlem values its diverse community and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. Due to the high volume of resumes, FSH may not respond to all who apply. FSH is an equal opportunity employer.