Family Engagement Manager
Figure Skating in Harlem (FSH) is a thriving youth development organization – the first to combine the power of education with the grace and discipline of figure skating to help girls transform their lives and grow in confidence, leadership, and academic achievement.
Our award-winning afterschool and summer programs provide girls ages six to 18 from low-income communities with access to innovative education, health and wellness services that help them reach their fullest potential.
Our vision is for every student, regardless of socio-economic background, to acquire the foundational academic, social and leadership skills to achieve her dreams. Headquartered in Harlem, we also have a satellite site in Detroit, serving girls in that community. As an organization, we are committed to creating and maintaining a workplace environment that allows employees to be engaged, productive, and successful.
The Family Engagement Manager will support the organization in three key functional areas: (1) design and implement a clear scope to ensure a successful educational journey for our families; (2) optimize and scale our recruitment efforts for new and prospective students and families; and (3) provide additional support to families to ensure a positive experience throughout their FSH journey.
Student Recruitment – 60%
- In collaboration with Program team leadership, develop and oversee FSH’s external strategy for recruiting students through community-based, school-based, and individual recruitment
- Lead or oversee the execution of all outreach activities by personally presenting or by preparing staff, volunteers, and alum for presentations
- Spearhead recruitment campaigns, develop collateral and other materials in collaboration with the Marketing department
- Analyze data and trends to identify opportunities for improvement in processes and adapt as needed
- Communicate and work with staff to interview student candidates and answer questions about the program and eligibility
Student and Family Experience – 20%
- Serve as the primary point person for student and family’s needs, including troubleshooting attendance and special family circumstances.
- Develop effective communication to support a successful journey for parents and students participating in FSH programming
- Understand any medical needs or reasonable accommodations requested by families for students in the program
Community Building and External Relationships – 15%
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with external partners, including New York City Public Schools, colleges, CBOs, and nonprofit partners
- Represent FSH at select school-based events, workshops, PTA meetings, etc.
- Respond to inquiries and communicate as needed with community partners
- Develop and maintain effective communication with parent coordinators and administrators at schools that have the potential for high-impact partnerships
- Escalate concerns to Director of Programming to better
Secondary Support – 5%
- Provide Development team with information related to community outreach for grants and other reports
- Evaluate and report on program data related to student recruitment, demographics, and engagement
- Support the Program team by utilizing relationships with community partners to resolve student issues and share information across organizations
- Support the Program team as needed
- Represent the Figure Skating in Harlem brand in a positive light, and take actions to increase brand awareness throughout the community
- Uphold FSH Values and youth development principles
- Commitment to professional development
- Actively participate in creating a positive work environment
- Build relationships with co-workers; work collaboratively; be a team player
- College degree preferred
- 5+ years related job experience in education, youth-serving, or community-based organizations; demonstrates passion for youth development and education
- Experience with convening workshops and ability to manage or assist with virtual workshops or events.
- Commitment to Figure Skating in Harlem’s mission and the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience working on multiple projects simultaneously and balancing competing priorities
- Superior interpersonal skills, with ability to adapt to changing needs
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail with an orientation towards customer service
- Desire to learn and grow, team player with a flexible, creative, and analytical approach to problem-solving
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Suite, Amilia, Apricot, Salesforce, Google Suite)