Reports to: Onsite Manager
Status: Part-time, non-exempt
Organization: FSH is a thriving youth development organization – the first to combine the power of education with the grace and discipline of figure skating to help girls transform their lives and grow in confidence, leadership and academic achievement. Our award-winning afterschool and summer programs provide girls ages 6 to 18 from low income communities with access to innovative education and health and wellness services that help them reach their fullest potential. Our vision is for every student, regardless of socio-economic background, to acquire the foundational academic, social and leadership skills to achieve her dreams. Headquartered in Harlem, we have launched our first satellite chapter in Detroit – Figure Skating in Detroit.
Job Description: As part of the ICE: I Can Excel afterschool program team, counselors will work under the supervision of the Onsite Manager. Counselors foster a safe and supportive environment to maximize student engagement during program hours.
- Always prioritize student safety and update Onsite Manager immediately regarding any student safety issues to mitigate risk
- Foster positive social and emotional growth in students as they participate in all FSH activities
- Help create a safe and supportive environment to maximize student engagement during program hours
- Supervise student participation in daily activities, as well as FSH special events and trips
- Serve as a role model to girls and young women by maintaining a professional manner at all times
- Give constructive and appropriate feedback to students on an as needed basis
- Implement all FSH policies and procedures
- Report all accidents/incidents and inform supervisor of any program issues and concerns of students’ progress and behavior
- Encourage positive student behavior that promotes character development
- Maintain meaningful, positive rapport with students and parents
- Perform any related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor
- Experience working with children in an educational and/or recreational setting
- Passionate about education, recreation, and youth development
- Firm, yet caring and nurturing
- Attention to detail, superb organizational skills and excellent communication skills
- Ability to commit to working throughout the season (October – April)
- Proficient in conversational Spanish a plus
Days: Monday –Thursday, after school
Hourly rate: Competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
No knowledge of skating is required for counselor positions. Due to the high volume of resumes, we may not respond to all who apply. Figure Skating in Harlem in an equal opportunity employer and values the diversity of its staff. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.